If you are planning on driving from San Jose then you will need driving directions from San Jose to Pavones. You should allow yourself approximately 7-8 hours to get here. It’s best to start your trip early in the morning to give yourself enough daylight to make it here to be able to read signs and roads with appropriate lighting.
We recommend getting a 4×4 when traveling to Pavones but a 4×4 is not necessary in the dry season (December to April). If you need some rental car referrals, contact us to get the best car rental options and deals for your trip. Below are the driving directions from San Jose to Pavones.
- Head West out of San Jose toward Jaco on Highway 1, follow the San Ramon signs for about 10km you will then see a sign and turn off for Jaco/Quepos/Manuel Antonio, take this exit. You will then heads toward Jaco on Highway 34 South.
- Highway 34 also known as the Coastal Highway will pass over the famous Tarcoles River (We highly recommend parking at the shops before the bridge to see the huge crocodiles under the bridge). After crossing the bridge you will pass by many popular beach towns such as Jaco, Playa Hermosa, Manuel Antonio and Dominical. From Dominical you have approximately 4 hours left of driving.
- When you reach Palmar, make sure you fill up on gas at the gas station as this is the last gas station (There is a gas station in Golfito but this will cost you about 40 extra minutes for the detour). At the main intersection you will then want to take a right (South) which is the Interamerican Highway (Highway 2). Follow this towards Rio Claro.
- **Please note that there are no gas stations, ATM’s or banks in Pavones and the nearest gas station and ATM is either in Palmar, Golfito, or Paso Canoas so make sure you fill your gas tank full before continuing on to Pavones from your selected route.
- → Another route from the Rio Claro intersection is to continue straight to the border to Paso Canoas. Although you might add 30-45 minutes to your trip, it might be worth it for the cheaper gas and inexpensive stores. Click on this link to get the driving directions from Paso Canoas to Pavones. Once you arrive in Rio Claro you want to take a right at the main intersection in town toward Golfito (Highway 14). →
- After about 10 kilometers you want to make a left turn at the Salon El Rodeo (Rodeo Bar). If you reach Golfito you have gone too far.
- The road from here to Pavones is unpaved. About half an hour into the unpaved road you will go over a one lane bridge over the Coto River. A few kilometers after the bridge you will approach a town called Pueblo Nuevo, take a left around the soccer field then take a right after the soccer field (there is a Pavones sign here).
- Travel approximately another half an hour into it you will approach a three way intersection in Conte, take a right and follow the signs to Pavones.
- There is a “Y” in the road just past Conte and veer left (if you veer right it will take you to Zancudo) you have about 25 minutes to go.
- Follow the signs to Pavones.
- Welcome to Pavones!